Related Tools & Tips:
Managing Intake by Appointment
To avoid being overwhelmed by an unpredictable flow of surrendered pets and strays, Oregon Humane Society (OHS) requires admissions appointments.
A clear, fair expectation that the public is a partner in helping the animal is important.
Oregon Humane Society
What it Takes
- Buy-in at all levels.
- Good phone and computer systems.
- Enough well-trained staff to take messages, return calls promptly, and explain the adoption process thoroughly.
- Good animal tracking software.
- Good internal communications.
- A transition period of about a year.
What We Like
OHS changed how they accepted animals, not which animals they accepted. They limited the disruptive effects of processing surrenders and strays without limiting admissions.
Step by Step
- Download the complete profile (.pdf)
- Assess for yourself whether this program is right for your agency.
- Grab the sample materials and get started.
- Tell us how it goes.