Note: Please be sure to carefully review the guidelines and eligibility criteria of individual funders prior to contacting them with questions or submitting a request for support.
Watch recordings of our grants webinars, which provide free resources, guidance, and information on funding for animal welfare programs.
- In addition to the ASPCA, some of the largest national animal welfare funders who invite grant applications via their web sites include: American Humane Association, Maddie's Fund, Petfinder Foundation and PetSmart Charities.
- Philanthropy News Digest – Animal Welfare Requests for Proposals: Current announcements of specific funding initiatives for which grant applications are invited.
- Animal Grantmakers Affinity Group: An association of funders whose grant programs benefit animals.
- Animal Sheltering – Grant Listings: A list of funding sources compiled by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).
- Grants for Animal Welfare Nonprofits and Grants for Animal Rescue and Rehabilitation: Lists of funding sources compiled by Michigan State University and University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries, respectively.
- The PEDIGREE Foundation: Grants are limited to projects that benefit dogs. Operation Grants are limited to $1,000 and may be used to support general operating expenses. Innovation Grants ranging from $10,000 to $25,000 must be used for projects that directly increase the number of dogs being adopted from organizations.
- AnimalDisasterFunding.org: During certain major disasters, this site will include a Request for Proposals (RFP) and link to a grant application form that organizations assisting animals can submit for review by multiple participating funders.
Additional Resources on the Web
- Animal Sheltering – Fundraising Resources: Archive of articles and tips from Animal Sheltering magazine (published by HSUS) on increasing income and donations
- The Foundation Center's GrantSpace: Free tools and guidance for effective grantseeking and nonprofit management
- Foundation Directory Online – Free: A Foundation Center search tool providing open access to basic information on approximately 90,000 foundations
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) – Resource Center: Recommendations for best practices in fundraising from various AFP publications
- Animal Shelter Tips and The Lion's Share: Two blogs that offer fundraising resources for animal welfare organizations
- Tips on using crowdfunding as a fundraising strategy via platforms such as LoveAnimals, Indiegogo, StayClassy, FirstGiving, and CauseVox
- General information on what crowdfunding is, crowdfunding tips for beginners, crowdfunding best practices, and choosing the right crowdfunding platform for your organization