ASPCA Help a Horse Day Celebration Contest
The fifth annual ASPCA Help a Horse Day (HaHD) will take place on Wednesday, April 26, 2017. If your organization plans on celebrating with a Help a Horse Day event, as described here, you may be eligible to enter the Help a Horse Day Celebration Contest for your chance to win one of 11 grant prizes totaling $100,000 for best celebration efforts to be used to support general operations.
Eligibility - Applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Be a 501(c)(3) equine rescue or sanctuary that cares for at least 10 horses concurrently -OR- an animal shelter or animal care & control facility that shelters/seizes at-risk horses at least 4 times annually
- Be up to date with all ASPCA grant requirements
- Be located within the United States
- Participate in one or more Help a Horse Day events between April 21-26, 2017, as described here.
- March 1-April 1, 2017: Register your Help a Horse event online
- April 21–26, 2017: Organizations hold events in celebration of 5th annual HaHD
- Monday, April 24, 2017: Application period opens for HaHD contest grant applications
- Wednesday, April 26, 2017: Fifth annual HaHD
- Monday, May 8, 2017: Full grant applications must be received electronically through the online application link no later than 5 p.m. ET. The ASPCA does not accept grant applications in any other format.
- Friday, June 30, 2017: Grant applicants will be notified of a funding decision by 5 p.m. ET. Please do not inquire about your grant application prior to that date.
Applicants will be asked to submit the following through the online application:
- Three photos from your celebration events/efforts. (Photo montages will not be accepted.)
- Photo proof that a crowd release was posted at the entrance of your event (does not count toward the three-photo limit)
- Official attendee sign-in log
- Copies of your press release, media advisory and/or calendar listings and links to any press you received related to the event
- Two or three links/scans of social media efforts related to the event
- A list of fundraising methods used and donations received per event as a result of Help-a-Horse Day
- A brief write-up on how you celebrated and what the day meant to your staff, board of directors, volunteers and supporters
- Your organization's Federal Tax ID/Employer Identification Number (EIN)
Contest judges will award up to 50 points, using a variety of criteria to evaluate each Help a Horse Day celebration contest application, including the following:
- Number of people in attendance
- Amount of money raised
- 350-word essay
- Three event photos
For the complete judging rubric, download the Help a Horse Day Judging Criteria.
- One grand prize winner will receive $25,000 for general operating support*
- 5 runners-up will receive $10,000 each for general operating support
- 5 runners-up will receive $5,000 each for general operating support
*Please Note: While past Help a Horse Day Contest winners are welcome to participate and be in the running for awards in 2017, past grand prize winners are excluded from running for that prize again.
Link to Apply
The application will open on Monday, April 24, 2017 at 10 am ET
The application will close on Monday, May 8, 2017 at 5 pm ET
If you try accessing this application before or after this window, you will get an error message.
For program-related inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For application submission inquiries/technical difficulties, please contact the ASPCA Grants team. Usual ASPCA guidelines and reporting apply.