Related Tools & Tips:
ASV Shelter Guidelines
The Association of Shelter Veterinarians (ASV) compiled the comprehensive Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters to provide research-based guidelines that will help any sheltering operation meet the physical, medical, and behavioral needs of the animals in their care.
We've created and curated resources that can help you use the ASV guidelines efficiently and effectively to make life better for the animals and people in your organization.
Do you have sanitation protocols in place for specific pathogens? Are your puppies and kittens revaccinated at 2- to 3-week intervals? Does your facility improvement plan meet the needs of animals and staff?
Your answers to these and other questions can help show you where you’ve been, the progress you’re making and where you need to be. Our new Shelter Care Checklists are based on the ASV Shelter Guidelines Project, a powerful tool shelters can use for self-assessment and improvement.
The ASPCA and ASV presented a comprehensive series of 1-hour webinars, each spotlighting a section of the ASV guidelines. Each webinar was presented by one of the authors of the guidelines and all sessions were recorded.
- Why Standards of Care Matter to Shelter Animals Gary Patronek, VMD, PhD, Animal Rescue League of Boston
- The Importance of Management and Recordkeeping Sandra Newbury, DVM, University of California–Davis
- The Five Freedoms and Shelter Wellness Miranda Spindel, DVM, ASPCA
- Shelter Math and Population Planning Sandra Newbury, DVM, University of California–Davis
- Guidelines for Sanitation: What, Why and How? Kate Hurley, DVM, MPVM, University of California–Davis; and Natalie Isaza, DVM, University of Florida
- Housing for Health, Wellness, and Success Kate Hurley, DVM, MPVM, University of California-Davis
- Keeping Pets Behaviorally Healthy in the Shelter Brenda Griffin, DVM, DACVIM, University of Florida
- Shelter Guidelines: Animal Transport Sandra Newbury, DVM, University of California–Davis; and Martha M. Smith, DVM, Animal Rescue League of Boston
- Shelter Guidelines: Animal Handling Brenda Griffin, DVM, DACVIM, University of Florida
- Keeping Pets, People, and the Environment Healthy & Safe Jeanette O'Quin, DVM, Ohio Dept. of Health, Zoonotic Disease Program; and Mary Blinn, DVM, Charlotte/Mecklenburg Animal Care and Control
- Shelter Guidelines: Spay/Neuter Natalie Isaza, DVM, University of Florida; and Cynthia Barker Cox, DVM, MSPCA
- Shelter Guidelines: Group Housing Brenda Griffin, DVM, DACVIM, University of Florida
- The Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters – Oh the Places You'll Go Lila Miller, DVM, ASPCA; and Miranda Spindel, DVM, ASPCA